Climbing Mount Language from Basecamp to Summit
About This Episode
Beware listeners: This episode contains a discussion of a few English swearwords, so if you are listening with kids please skip the first 20 minutes.
And on to what's in this show:
Language Stories: Lindsay has a new podcast, reporting back from her adventures around the language landscapes of cities like Montréal, New York, and more.
Even after 20 years of English, I still don't know all the words. We discuss an English slang word that was news to me.
Tip: The Psychology of Rewards
We discussed why and how you can reward yourself when you reach those study goals.
Language Learning Misconceptions
Here's the list we discussed on the show:
- Children learn their first language effortlessly
- Younger learners learn languages more easily than older learners
- Intelligent people are better at learning languages
- Immersion is the best way to learn a language
- Grammar study is detrimental to second-language acquisition
- Learning a second language hinders the development of the first language
- Once a child can speak a language, the language-learning process is complete
Consider: All these ideas and beliefs are widespread, but none of them are true when taken at face value!